Demographic trends reveal that ageing population is on the increase globally. People now retire and live longer thereby increasing Pension Funds obligations, funded from Governments’ (Federal, State and Local Governments) already lean purses. The consequence of this is inability of various Governments to immediately meet up with these increasing obligations. The resultant effect is that retirees are left in the cold for the first two years (or even more) to face life in #retirement without any source of income.
It is very discomforting and worthy of note that a great number of people retire from work (Service) without planning ahead for it. This is in spite of being aware of the exact date they will be due for statutory retirement right from the date they got the job.
Different folks, different strokes!
A number of people talk and worry a lot about what will happen to them when they retire from service but end up not taking any step to address their fears before entering into this timeline. Some other people just take every day as it comes without even giving it any thought whatsoever.
What is your excuse!
People fail to plan ahead for retirement because of different reasons;
- The nature of work is very laborious leaving them with no quality time to think of any other thing. They work so hard and earn so little and thus must put in long hours daily to make ends meet. They just resign to faith;
- The nature of work is very busy and rewarding, hence they are very comfortable as it is and thus would forget to spare a little time to plan for the years coming ahead;
- Procrastination! They have every opportunity to prepare for the raining day but rather kept postponing until it becomes too late;
- The belief that tomorrow will always sort itself out;
- I have trained my children, they will take care of me;
- My family inheritance is there for me;
- Etc, etc, etc……………
What is your excuse?
Arc (Mrs) BamideleFalako
Post Service Lifestyle Consultant
MSME Business Coach/Trainer